Director of Web Support
This is a leadership role within the Web division of Carnegie. The Web team joined Carnegie via acquisition in October 2021. Due to growth, we’ve recently decided to establish Web Support as a new team, separate from Web Development. We are seeking a Director, reporting to the VP of Web Development, to build and lead our new web support team.
Web Support is responsible for providing ongoing services to ~12 existing clients, typically after we’ve completed a multi-year website redesign project. Ongoing services include web hosting (via our partnership with Pantheon), content management system (“CMS”) technical maintenance, page build and content updates, troubleshooting and problem resolution, and consulting on the overall performance of clients’ websites. The work profile for this team is generally predictable as it is not project-based work. Our primary CMS platforms are Drupal and WordPress. Web Support is a client-facing team, the director and members of the team will work closely with account management to deliver an exceptional client experience. Our typical client is the central marketing and communications office within a college or university. Our clients are generally not technical, and most higher education institutions are under-resourced when it comes to their web presence.
The successful candidate will bring leadership skills, a customer-oriented mindset, strong curiosity, and problem-solving skills. We need someone who is not afraid to get their hands dirty and who has prior experience with managing websites/content management systems from either the technical or content administrative perspectives.
- Lead the web client support team in providing ongoing support around technical issues, content, routine maintenance, and enhancements for client websites
- Play a hands-on role in assessing client requests, responding to questions, and making changes to the configuration, code, or content for client websites using WordPress and Drupal
- Identify problems and recommend solutions for website errors, adhering to best practices, performance, and functionality
- Work collaboratively across the web division, including with account management, web developers, designers, and strategists to address client needs and implement solutions
- Partner with the director of web development to transition clients from website redesign projects to ongoing support engagements
- Identify opportunities to deepen our client engagements and work with sales and account management to create proposals for additional work
- Manage the web client support team, including onboarding, ongoing performance evaluation, and mentoring of staff
- Monitor client budgets to ensure ongoing support engagements are profitable and financially predictable
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Three to five years of experience with administering and maintaining large websites/
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Three to five years of experience with administering and maintaining large websites/content management systems. Drupal and/or WordPress experience preferred.
- Three to five years working in a consulting or agency setting, servicing clients
- Fluency in web best practices, including accessibility, SEO, analytics, and web development. Familiarity with software development processes such as code version control and development workflow is a plus.
- Prior supervisory or management experience
- Proven ability to nurture clients and employees
- Strong writing and communication skills are a must
- Exceptional organizational skills, multitasking capabilities, and attention to detail
- Ability to think strategically and make recommendations to clients
- High levels of autonomy and self-motivation, with the ability to prioritize multiple projects and tasks
- Strong problem-solving skills, particularly around websites and web functionality
- Knowledge and interest in the higher education industry is a plus
- Familiarity with Asana or other project management tools is a plus
You Should Join Us!
We’re a fast-growing and innovative company, set apart by our incredible people. We’re a supportive, fun-loving group with diverse interests and talents. In addition to getting to work with fantastic people and do work you love, here are some items you can list in your “pros” column:
401(k) with company match
Generous holiday and PTO package
Flexible work environment (remote, in-office, and hybrid roles)
Half-day summer Fridays
Fun company events and laid-back culture
Opportunities for advancement
Industry exposure and professional development
Growing company with a family feel
Entrepreneurial approach and spirit
For more than 30 years, Carnegie has been a leader and innovator in higher education marketing and enrollment strategy, offering groundbreaking services in the areas of Research, Strategy, Digital Marketing, Lead Generation, Slate Optimization, Student Search, Website Development, and Creative that generate authentic connections.
Learn more about who we are, what we do, and what we care about.
For more information, or to apply please submit your cover letter and résumé to email@example.com.
No phone calls or unscheduled visits to the office, please. Carnegie is an equal opportunity employer.