Senior Graphic Designer
Working as part of a strategic consultancy, Carnegie’s Senior Graphic Designer plays a pivotal role in design construction and leadership for creative projects for higher ed clients. They expertly develop and present strategic design recommendations and bring those recommendations to life through high-quality, emotive media that tells a story.
The Senior Graphic Designer is able to work across a diverse product set, inclusive of campaign concepting, print collateral, digital media, logo and mascot development, and email and web templates. They are able to design beyond generic styles and constructs in favor of deeply personified expressions that move and motivate audiences. They have a passion for understanding the client and consumer and creating wholly original, custom creative that unites them. Secondary projects include design analysis, document design, and internal marketing design needs.
Top-level design and critical thinking skills are required for this role, as is the ability to take a lead in projects among an interdisciplinary project team, support team members in their work, and ensure the overall success of the project. Senior Graphic Designers are advanced in their craft, can discern client needs and politics, and execute their work efficiently at the highest level of quality. They have experience working in a creative or marketing environment and delivering related product sets.
- Effectively translate the creative brief into print and digital media that tells a compelling story.
- Ensure consistency and accuracy to client brand personality and standards.
- Formulate clear and thoughtful design strategies and concepts to meet organizational objectives.
- Move design strategies to action, creating high-quality, personified, cohesive, design constructs across communication types (print, web, social, video, etc.), in ways that articulate new, desirable realities for audiences.
- Provide project leadership, taking ownership of projects, seeing to successful production from beginning to end. Raise red flags where seen and work to solve them.
- Champion project collaboration, working to motivate team members and ensure smooth and proactive interaction and process.
- Decide key design decisions for projects, providing thought leadership, direction, and constructive correction to the work of other team members.
- Ensure product meets all client goals and satisfies the creative brief, identifying any revisions required and executing those revisions to client satisfaction.
- Represent design decisions on client discovery and presentation calls with clarity, confidence, and professionalism.
- Review/revise other team members’ project work, when needed, and direct or provide any final revisions to ensure the best possible final product.
- Provide team training, when needed, on the approach and production of Creative products.
- Contribute to product innovations
- Foster a proactive, positive, and enthusiastic culture that values and supports team members and clients.
- Occasional travel is required.
- Enthusiasm for graphic creation, typography, imagery, and applied marketing.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud and MacOffice, with some knowledge of HTML5 and CSS.
- Advanced ability in InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator.
- Breadth of experience in print, logo, and digital media, with portfolio showcasing acumen and success.
- Enthusiasm for applying storytelling fundamentals and diverse design styles.
- Ability to design at the highest level in one’s craft, successfully employing storytelling fundamentals that result in compelling, effective design, providing an imitable example of work well done.
- Ability to create original concepts that result in effective and compelling storytelling.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both with clients and between colleagues and internal teams.
- The ability to understand the needs of diverse clients, consumers, and target audiences. Confidence in leading conversation and collaboration.
- Self-motivated, self-working, and well organized.
- The resilience to work across a number of projects simultaneously and balance a high-volume workload.
- Ability to follow processes, raise red flags, and problem-solve issues as they arise.
- The drive to help others succeed and bring unity to many moving parts.
- Ability to assess others’ work and identify gaps, flaws, and revision needs.
- Ability to revise others’ work, when needed, to satisfy client needs and demands.
- Ability to produce projects at a high quality with little interference or oversight.
- The ability to inspire confidence in V- and C-level executives.
Carnegie’s Senior Graphic Designer must hold a bachelor’s degree or higher in Graphic Design, Fine Arts, or a related field. At least 8-10 years professional graphic design experience and proven track record executing complex design projects between interdisciplinary teams is desired. Applicants must provide a portfolio of demonstrated creative design ability across media types for consideration.
You Should Join Us!
We’re a fast-growing and innovative company, set apart by our incredible people. We’re a supportive, fun-loving group with diverse interests and talents. In addition to getting to work with fantastic people and do work you love, here are some items you can list in your “pros” column:
401(k) with company match
Generous holiday and PTO package
Flexible work environment (remote, in-office, and hybrid roles)
Half-day summer Fridays
Fun company events and laid-back culture
Opportunities for advancement
Industry exposure and professional development
Growing company with a family feel
Entrepreneurial approach and spirit
For more than 30 years, Carnegie has been a leader and innovator in higher education marketing and enrollment strategy, offering groundbreaking services in the areas of Research, Strategy, Digital Marketing, Lead Generation, Slate Optimization, Student Search, Website Development, and Creative that generate authentic connections.
Learn more about who we are, what we do, and what we care about.
For more information, or to apply please submit your cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls or unscheduled visits to the office, please. Carnegie is an equal opportunity employer.